The Connecticut State Department of Education (CSDE) is seeking a Special Education Consultant within the Special Education Bureau. The Consultant will work within a team based environment to implement the federal requirements/mandates from the Office of Special Education Programs (OSEP) and to support stakeholders in the implementation of the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA) to improve outcomes for students with disabilities across the state of Connecticut.
Key responsibilities include:
- Serving in a lead role for the General Monitoring and Supervision (GMS) system. The GMS is a comprehensive system of coordinated activities with eight components that require alignment and coherency with the ultimate goal of supporting stakeholders to improve outcomes for students with disabilities;
- Communicating and marketing aspects of the system to increase stakeholder understanding of the GMS;
- Designing structures to elicit feedback from stakeholders to inform the system; and
- Collaborating with national technical assistance centers, internal colleagues, and external providers (SERC/RESCs/etc.).
This position is located at the State of Connecticut office building at 450 Columbus Boulevard, Hartford. This is a 35-hour position that operates Monday - Friday.
Applicants invited to interview may be required to submit additional documentation, which supports their qualifications for this position. These documents may include: performance reviews, supervisory references, college transcripts, licensure, etc. at the discretion of the hiring agency. However, there are no attachments required at the time of application.
SPECIAL REQUIREMENTS NOTE: At the time of application, must hold a Special Education certificate issued by the State Board of Education.
Due to the volume of applications anticipated, the Bureau of Human Resources is unable to provide confirmation of receipt and/or the status of applications during the recruitment process. Updates will be provided through your JobAps portal account. Interviews will be limited to candidates whose experience and training most closely meet the requirements of the position. For all other inquiries, please contact Kim Barberi at firstname.lastname@example.org, 860-713-6691.
In the Department of Education, plans and executes programs of extensive difficulty and scope for the improvement of education in the State; does related work as required.
Assists a Bureau Chief in supervising the broad educational programs and services offered by the State; develops and administers specific programs of major importance within the framework of policies outlined by the Bureau Chief; provides professional leadership and guidance to school authorities, professional organizations, students and various community groups and individuals; may assist in preparing and administering the allocated budget, and in directing the routine functioning of the bureau.
Thorough knowledge of the philosophy and methods of education with particular reference to the field concerned; teaching skill; considerable ability to deal effectively with others; considerable administrative ability; ability to prepare comprehensive written reports.
An earned advanced degree and eight (8) years of professional experience OR in lieu thereof an equivalent combination of experience and training as approved by the Board of Education.
Preference will be given to applicants with the following experience and training:
- Advance degree in the field of special education and record of successful professional advancement.
- Three (3) years of experience serving in leadership position(s) working with district leaders to improve results.
- Five (5) years of experience in strategic planning, data analysis, and multifaceted action planning.
- Demonstrated skills in oral and written communication, decision making and delivering presentations.
- Demonstrated proficiency interpreting and communicating state and federal laws concerning special education.
- Five (5) years of experience in the evaluation of program effectiveness.
- Ability to communicate and work cooperatively with internal and external stakeholders.
Must hold an appropriate certificate issued by State Board of Education.